Sleep apnea is a common medical condition that can affect patients of all ages. Most people don’t realize they have sleep apnea until they visit a trained sleep apnea professional. When sleep apnea is left untreated, it can lead to serious health concerns that can affect the length and quality of your life. Finding the right solution to treat sleep apnea can help you achieve better sleep and possibly improve your overall health.
Dr. Richard Van Gurp is a highly trained and experienced dentist in Charlotte, NC who has obtained advanced training in oral appliance therapy.
Signs of Sleep Apnea
Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when patients repeatedly stop breathing during sleep. Obstructive sleep apnea happens when the muscles in the back of the throat block the airway, causing patients to stop breathing multiple times throughout their sleeping cycle. When this happens, oxygens levels to your major organs may begin to drop, which can negatively impact your overall health.
Getting screened for sleep apnea may potentially save your life. Dr. Van Gurp can work with you to identify any signs of sleep apnea and create a treatment plan that is right for you.
Signs and Symptoms of Sleep Apnea-
- Snoring: Snoring is one of the most common signs of sleep apnea. Most times, snoring is noticed by a partner. Although snoring does not indicate a definitive diagnose of sleep apnea, you should till consider visiting a trained professional to determine if your snoring is caused by sleep apnea.
- Fatigue: Sleep apnea may result in patients waking up throughout the night. Patients may wake up extremely fatigued, and it may continue to occur throughout the day.
- Waking up and gasping for air: Sleep apnea patients may wake-up and gasp for air throughout the night.
- Difficulty concentrating: Having difficulty concentrating throughout the day is a sign of a sleeping disorder.
- A sore throat or dry mouth when waking up: Sleep apnea patients usually report waking up with a dry mouth or a sore throat.
- Headaches (especially in the morning): Since patients aren’t receiving an adequate amount of sleep, they may experience headaches migraines throughout the day.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you may want to cider visiting Carolina Sleep Solutions s in Charlotte, NC. Dr. Van Gurp can work with you to find the right solutions for your needs. To schedule an appointment, call 704.746.3160 or schedule a consultation online.
*Carolina Sleep Solutions offers free screenings and consultations to those persons who feel they may have a sleep disorder breathing problem. If your screening indicates a significant risk for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, we will recommend a formal consultation, also at no charge to you.