Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition that affects 22 million Americans, and 80 percent of them are undiagnosed. Sleep apnea carries many risks beyond snoring, as it is linked to cardiovascular disease and serious medical conditions.
Dr. Richard Van Gurp is a dentist who specializes in creating customized dental devices to treat obstructive sleep apnea and snoring. Carolina Sleep Solutions offers free sleep apnea screenings for patients in the Charlotte, NC area, and we can help you find the right treatment to have a better night’s rest and protect your overall health.
The Facts About Sleep Apnea
- Obstructive sleep apnea is a serious medical condition that occurs when the muscles in the back of the throat fail to keep the airway open during sleep.
- Sleep apnea is under-diagnosed. Less than 10% of American adults have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea.
- 1 in 4 adults are at a high risk for sleep apnea due to obesity or preexisting medical conditions.
- Patients with sleep apnea wake up gasping for air in the middle of the night.
- Sleep apnea patients are more likely to develop cardiovascular disease.
- Not everyone who snores has sleep apnea, but most people with sleep apnea does snore.
- You may not have any memory of waking up during the night gasping for air.
How Do I Know If I Have Sleep Apnea?
You may have sleep apnea if you experience any of the following sleep apnea symptoms:
- Extended fatigue throughout the day
- Difficulty concentrating during the day
- Sore throat or dry mouth
Schedule Your Free Sleep Apnea Screening
If you have any of the symptoms described above, schedule a sleep apnea consultation with Dr. Richard Van Gurp. Dr. Gurp is a highly qualified dentist in Charlotte, NC who has obtained advanced training in oral appliance therapy. This training, combined with his expertise in dentistry, makes Dr. Van Gurp uniquely qualified to fit highly customized FDA-approved dental sleep devices.